Monday, July 23, 2012

Krakauer wins! And future contenders.

Looks like Krakauer was the favorite. I began my reading on the peaceful banks of the Jersey Shore yesterday, and so far am really into it. Into Thin Air is the story of the 1996 Mt. Everest expedition that Krakauer was on to report a story for Outside magazine. The expedition was a disaster and several people died. The book is Krakauer's attempt to figure out what happened and why it happened. It's going to be a bit dark, and sometimes gruesome and scary, I think. But I'm up for it. And, I have to say, it's already really making me want to travel to Tibet and Nepal, the countries that are home to Everest. Not to climb Everest, but just to see it. The images of prayer flags strung across the mountain top villages, yaks, sherpas, potatoes growing on the steppes... it's hard to resist. Especially for a little newbie Buddhist like me.

In other news: New York was gracious enough this weekend to offer up a few freebie books lying out on the  sidewalk. I picked up The World According to Garp, The Girl Who Played with Fire (except I haven't read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo....), and something called The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot by Naomi Wolf. Wonder what that's all about...

I love free books!!

No comments:

Post a Comment